Wednesday, April 09, 2008

I'm Special, You're Special

I'm Special, You're Special is one of Kaleidoscope's most acclaimed presentations. Touring for over 20 years, the show follows the story of David Brown, a boy with Down Syndrome, as he is included into a public school. Bobby Macaux, a local actor from East Greenwich, currently plays the role of David. Here's what he has to say about the experience.

Through the Eyes of
David Brown
By: Bob Macaux

David Brown is a totally unique character with many similarities and differences through my life. Just like David, I was born with Down Syndrome and I was included in many schools. But there are differences. For example, David Brown is good with his hands, but personally I use my brain in a lot of ways including writing poetry and short stories, reading and going through college. I love the show because it carries a lesson on tolerance and acceptance. We all learn at different various speeds. Working with Kaleidoscope fulfills my quest for musical theater.

If you're interested in bringing I'm Special, You're Special to your school, please give our office a call at (401) 942-3637. We're currently accepting bookings for this April, May, and June and for the 2008-2009 school year. We also have some partial funding available, courtesy of the John Moran Fund, that can help bring this production to a school that could otherwise not afford it. If you have any questions about the show or about the availability of the funding, you can call the office or e-mail us at kaleidoscope@kaleidoscopetheatre.com!
(Photo: Bob Macaux as David Brown in I'm Special, You're Special.)

No comments:

What's your favorite fairytale?